I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Feeding Your Soul

Most of my family memories have one thing in common. Regardless of the occasion, food played a part in it. I learned to cook at a relatively young age and have enjoyed a fascination with food ever since. When I chose to return to college the first time, nearly ten years ago, my major was food (Hotel/Restaurant Management and Culinary Arts)! (written 17 Oct 07)

While I became disenchanted with the world of restaurant management, my fascination with and love for food has never waned. I am just as likely to sit down and read a cookbook as I am a novel. Suffering from "empty nest" syndrome has hampered, but not suffocated, my desire to get in the kitchen and create! I truly enjoy cooking. There is a sense of satisfaction that comes from knowing you have fed your guests well that nothing quite matches.

Do you know how many restaurants there are in Dothan? When you look at the number of restaurants that we have, do you ever wonder if anyone cooks anymore? When I was in restaurant management, I certainly wondered! Food is more than nourishment for the body, it is fuel (energy!). No matter the circumstance, at some point in time, you have to refuel.

How, then, do you fuel your soul? Our bodies are more than machines that require energy to run. We can fuel our physical self with the intake of food, but what do we use to nourish our spirit? While the presence of Jesus in my life is something that I have known since childhood, it is only just very recently that I have begun to realize that my spiritual hunger must also be met. I find myself searching for answers. There are many very good books written by Christian authors. One of my favorites, Deadly Emotions, is by Dr. Don Colbert. His insight truly opened my eyes! Another of my favorites was written by T.D. Jakes. I highly recommend Woman, Thou Art Loosed to anyone (male or female) who has not yet read it. Without exception, every person I know that has read this book feels the same way. His message is powerful, and very well written.

The finest soul food I have found to date, however, was written many years ago. It has not one author, but many. It has been printed in hundreds of different languages, and is probably the most published written work ever done. Its name? The Bible. Remember that song from Sunday school? "The B-I-B-L-E, yes, that's the book for me, I stand alone on the word of God, the B-I-B-L-E" The good news? You will never stand alone as long as you have Jesus. He will be with you always. He tells us so in His word.

Jesus, thank you for allowing me the privilege to serve you. I pray each day to grow stronger in you. I feed my soul with your word. Make me a shining light for you.

"When your words came, I ate them; for they were my joy and my heart's delight, for I bear your name, O LORD God Almighty."~Jeremiah 15:16 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment