I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Not Ashamed!

In his book Deadly Emotions, Dr. Don Colbert says that "shame generally arises from what another person has done, something that society widely recognizes as immoral, wrong, a crime, or sin." (84) He further states that shame "leaves us feeling unworthy of approval, self-conscious, and as if our lack of value has been exposed." (85) (written 30 Oct 07)

At some point in our lives, we have all felt ashamed. It may have stemmed from ridicule by a sibling, a teacher who mocked our questions, a parent whose correction took place publicly, or events that we feel are beyond our control. Imagine being the dyslexic student who is asked to read aloud in class, or the person always picked last for team play.

Colbert tells us that "deep down, the shamed person feels he is genuinely unlovable and unworthy of anyone's care." (86) Have we not all had days like that? I know that I have. Even a private dressing-down leaves us feeling as if we are walking around with spinach on our teeth! Psychology terms it an imaginary audience: in essence, we feel as if EVERYONE is paying attention to us, and noticing our faults.

Giving Christ control allows you to release those feelings of inadequacy. No, you do not become perfect, but you ARE forgiven. You have no reason to be ashamed, for Christ has wiped your slate clean. Giving Him your life brings you to Him newly born, washed by His blood and warmed by His love. Because of Christ's sacrifice, because He died for us, we have no reason to be ashamed! We are free!

Jesus, I thank you for taking away my shame. You loved me enough to give your life for me. I cannot begin to repay you! May I live the rest of my time here on this earth unashamed and proudly proclaiming the fact that I am yours. Blessed by you, I am indeed "Not Ashamed!"

"The LORD is my rock, my fortress and my deliverer; my God is my rock, in whom I take refuge. He is my shield and the horn of my salvation, my stronghold. I call to the LORD, who is worthy of praise, and I am saved from my enemies." ~Psalm 18:2-3 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment