I Blog For Books

WestBow Press

20 January 2009

Changing the Focus

Today was Biology test number two. Once more, I left the room feeling like I had completely bombed. There has to be something I can do differently! (written 24 Sep 07)

Before you think I'm picking on my biology teacher (seriously, Mrs. Bradley, I'm not!), let me explain. Regardless of where we are in life, we tend to gravitate to those things that we do well. I thoroughly enjoy reading and writing. I am an excellent cook. I am by no stretch of the imagination an artist. From my earliest school days, some subjects have been more of a challenge to me than others. Some sciences are just that. Unfortunately for me at this point in my life, Biology happens to be one of them. Based on my chosen future profession, that is something that I am going to have to overcome.

After the first exam, I was rather surprised (and a bit embarrassed, I might add) to discover that many of the questions were formed from the chapter objectives. Imagine that! Test questions being taken from the things I was supposed to learn!! Novel idea, right? No sweat. Now I know how to study for the next test! Wrong! I knew what to study, but based on my feeling of today's performance, I still have not learned how to study.

When I applied this thought to my growth in Jesus, I discovered that I need to change my focus. Whether it be studying a biology text or studying the word of God, I need focus on not only what I need to know, but how to learn what I need to know. God has given us a blueprint, an instruction manual, if you will. His word tells us everything! Holding it in my hands and randomly picking something to read will not guide me, just as skim reading a biology text will not help me learn the required material.

When questions arise, God's word has the answers for me. When I face difficulties, God's word has the solutions. When I am wounded or hurt, God's word has the balm to ease my soul. All I have to do is apply what I have been given! Instead of looking for the easy answer, I must seek the correct answer. Imagine a book of answers! It's easily found just about anywhere. It's called The Bible. Whether you prefer the King James Version or The Message, start studying its teachings today!

God, thank you for clarifying yet again the direction I need to take. I know I may stumble, but that you will never let me fall. You do not tell me that I will never hurt, but that you will never hurt me. You do not tell me that I will never do wrong, but that you will forgive me. You assure me that your grace is mine, if I but ask and believe. The simple power of that continually amazes me. By changing my focus, I believe that God is guiding me on my chosen path. Thank you, God, for teaching me!

"Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the door will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives; he who seeks finds; and to him who knocks, the door will be opened." ~Matthew 7:7-8 NIV

No comments:

Post a Comment